In the unfortunate event that you would like to make a complaint, here is some information that may help you with this matter.

What is a complaint?

We regard a complaint as any expression of dissatisfaction about our action or lack of action, or about the standard of service provided by us or on our behalf. Your complaint may involve more than one of our services or be about someone working on our behalf.

  • What can I complain about?
  • You can complain about things like:
  • Delays in responding to your enquiries & requests
  • Failure to provide a service
  • Our standard of service
  • Dissatisfaction with our policy
  • Treatment by or attitude of a member of staff
  • Our failure to follow proper procedure.

What can’t I complain about?

There are some things we can’t deal with through our complaints procedure, these include:

  • A routine first-time request for a service, for example reporting a problem that needs to be repaired or initial action on anti-social behaviour requests for compensation.
  • Our policies and procedures that have a separate right of appeal.
  • An attempt to reopen a previously concluded complaint or to have a complaint reconsidered where we have already given our final decision following a stage 2 investigation.
  • If you are not satisfied, you can ask the Housing and Property Chamber for an independent review of the complaint.

How to contact the Housing and Property Chamber

  • Housing and Property Chamber, First-tier Tribunal for Scotland, 4th Floor, 1 Atlantic Quay, 45 Robertson Street, Glasgow, G2 8JB.
  • 0141 302 5900

How can I complain?

You can complain:

  • In person at our offices or in writing to Southside House, 135 Fifty Pitches Road, Cardonald, G51 4EB
  • By phone on 0141 422 1112 (option 5)
  • By email 

It is easier for us to resolve complaints if you make them quickly and directly to the service concerned. So please talk to a member of our staff at the service you are complaining about. Then they can try to resolve any problems on the spot.

When complaining, tell us:

  • Your full name and address
  • As much as you can about the complaint
  • What has gone wrong
  • How you want us to resolve the matter.

How long do I have to make a complaint?

Normally, you must make your complaint within six months of:

  • the event you want to complain about, or
  • finding out that you have a reason to complain, but no longer than12 months after the event itself.

In exceptional circumstances, we may be able to accept a complaint after the time limit. If you feel that the time limit should not apply to your complaint, please tell us why.

Contact details:

  • Southside Housing Association, Southside House, 135 Fifty Pitches Road, Glasgow, G51 4EB.
  • 0141 422 1112 (option 5)

What happens when I have complained?

We will always tell you who is dealing with your complaint. Our complaints procedure has two stages:

Stage one – Frontline resolution

We aim to resolve complaints quickly, this could mean an on-the-spot apology and explanation if something has clearly gone wrong, and immediate action to resolve the problem.

We will give you our decision at stage one in five working days or less, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

If we can’t resolve your complaint at this stage, we will explain why. If you are still dissatisfied you can ask for your complaint to be investigated further through stage two. You may choose to do this immediately or some time after you get our initial response.

We can help you with making this request.

Stage two – Investigation

Stage two deals with two types of complaint: those that have not been resolved at stage one and those that are complex and require detailed investigation. When using stage two we will:

  • acknowledge receipt of your complaint within three working days
  • discuss your complaint with you to understand why you remain dissatisfied and what outcome you are looking for
  • give you a full response to the complaint as soon as possible and within twenty working days.

If our investigation will take longer than twenty working days, we will tell you. We will agree revised time limits with you and keep you updated on progress.

What if I’m still dissatisfied?

From December 2016 the Housing and Property Chamber will try to resolve complaints and disputes between home owners and property factors. So if your complaint is about a factoring service, and you are still dissatisfied after our investigation stage you will be able to go to the Housing and Property Chamber.

  • Housing and Property Chamber, First-tier Tribunal for Scotland, 4th Floor, 1 Atlantic Quay, 45 Robertson Street, Glasgow, G2 8JB.
  • 0141 302 5900

Getting help to make your complaint

We understand that you may be unable, or reluctant, to make a complaint yourself. We accept complaints from the representative of a person who is dissatisfied with our service. We can take complaints from a friend, relative, or an advocate, if you have given them your consent to complain for you.

You can find out about advocates in your area by contacting the Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance or Citizens Advice Bureau.

Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance
Tel: 0131 260 5380
Fax: 0131 260 5381

Citizens Advice Scotland

Or check your phone book for your local bureau.

People 8 4