Alterations & Improvements 

Before going ahead with any alteration or improvement to the property no matter how small, you must obtain permission in writing from the Association. You are encouraged to discuss your proposals with members of staff in the Property Services Department and get their advice before making a formal application in writing.   You can fill in the form below and this will be sent to us and we will look at it.  Or you can email to request a paper copy.

We look at all applications on a request-by-request basis and this includes in the possible effect  on health and safety, neighbours, ongoing maintenance and so on.  You will either be granted permission or refused permission subject to certain specific conditions. If permission is granted you must then complete the work to the Association’s satisfaction, advise the Association when work is completed and allow access for inspection.  

Records of the process will be kept and if required used to clarify maintenance responsibilities at a later date.  For example, if you leave the property and you are required to return the property to its original condition.

Improvements will NOT be authorised by the Association in newly built or refurbished properties until expiry of the defects liability period (usually 12 months after the completion of the new build or refurbishment work).  Also, if we find you have altered the property without permission we may ask you to remove the alteration and restore it to the original condition.


By sending this in, we will use this as your signature. We will keep hold of this form and if needed to sign later, we will send it to you.

If appropriate, please supply the following - you will need to email us or fill in the comments box below.

  • Insurance: Full details of properposed contractors' insurance certificates showing £5 million Public Liability & Employee Liability
  • Gas Work: Provide details of the contractor's gas safe registration (certificate required) and employee gas safe registration.
  • Electrical Work: Provide NICEIC or Select approved certificate
  • Trade Association: Provide any certification of trade association membership.
Has the work already been started? (Required)
Is Planning Permission or a Building Warrant required to carry out the work? If you tick Yes, you will need to let us see a copy. You can either come into the office and we take a copy or you can email a copy to and put in the subject line "Request for alternation/improvement - Building Warrant or Planning Permission". (Required)