Ending Your Tenancy 

Moving Out 

Before moving out of your home you should:

  • Give 28 days notice, in writing to your Housing Officer, of your intention to end your tenancy.
  • If you are on housing benefit or Universal Credit you should inform the relevant departments of your change of address.
  • Inform Glasgow City Council, Council Tax Department of your date of leaving and your new address.
  • Empty your home of all belonging and furnishings. If you wish to dispose of larger items please phone the Association on 0141 422 1112 to arrange a bulk uplift.
  • Ensure your washing machine is disconnected properly and you cap off all the pipes.
  • Ensure you carry out any repairs that you are responsible for within your home, if Southside Housing Association has to arrange for a Contractor to complete this work this cost will be passed to you.
  • Pay any rent due up to your date of leaving. Alongside any other charge due to the Association. 

To avoid being re-charged for any repairs or clearing out your home, please ensure at the end of your tenancy you remove ALL of your belongings from the property and leave it in a clean and tidy condition. Your Housing Officer can offer advice on how to leave your property when ending your tenancy.

If any of the fixture and fittings have been damaged or replaced by yourself then you may be charged for the cost of bringing the property up to a satisfactory condition.


Abandonment Policy September 2022

It is extremely important that you let us know if you intend to leave your home unoccupied for more than 28 consecutive days. Especially if you are in receipt of Housing Benefit, as it will not be backdated for more than 4 weeks. 

If we believe you have abandoned your home, or if you are not living in it as your only or principle home, we will serve legal (abandonment) notices to end your tenancy. If you do not contact us in writing within 28 days we can end your tenancy, force access to your home, dispose of your possessions, and then re-let the property.

Legal Action and Eviction 

The Association believes Court Action to terminate a tenancy is the very last resort where all other alternative solutions have failed.

If you face legal action, you should always contact the Association immediately to discuss the matter. You should also seek independent legal advice as you are entitled to defend any action taken against your tenancy. 

If the Association wishes to repossess your tenancy we must follow legal procedures. Legal notices must be served on all members of the household who are over 16 years of age, stating the grounds for the recovery of the property. 

It should be noted that if we have to start court proceedings then you will be held liable for the court expenses which could be in excess of £400.00.

People 5 2