Make a Complaint

What is a complaint?

We regard a complaint as any expression of dissatisfaction about our action or lack of action, or about the standard of service provided by us or on our behalf.

Your complaint may involve more than one of our services or be about someone working on our behalf.


What can I complain about?

You can complain about things like:

  • Delays in responding to your enquiries and requests
  • Failure to provide a service
  • Our standard of service
  • Dissatisfaction with our policy
  • Treatment by or attitude of a member of staff
  • Our failure to follow proper procedure


What can’t I complain about?

There are some things we can’t deal with through our complaints procedure.  These include:

  • A routine first-time request for a service, for example reporting a problem that needs to be repaired or initial action on anti-social behaviour.
  • Request for compensation
  • Our policies and procedures have a separate right of appeal, for example if you are dissatisfied with the level of priority you have been given when applying for a house, you may have the right to appeal against the decision.
  • Issues that are in court or have already been heard by a court or a tribunal
  • An attempt to reopen a previously concluded complaint or to have a complaint reconsidered where we have already given our final decision following a stage 2 investigation.

How do I complain?

  •  Call us on 0141 422 1112 or contact a member of staff directly
  •  Pick up a complaint booklet from our offices
  •  Write to us at Southside Housing Association, Southside House, 135 Fifty Pitches Road, Cardonald G51 4EB.


It often helps to talk first with the staff member who is providing the service you’re complaining about so they can try to resolve any issues on the spot.

When complaining, try to tell us:

  • Your full name and address
  • What has gone wrong
  • What you want us to do to resolve the matter


What happens once I have complained?

There are two stages to our Complaints Procedure.


Stage 1 – Frontline Resolution

  • We’ll try to resolve your complaint quickly and within 5 working days where possible.
  • This could involve us giving you an on the spot apology and explanation where something has clearly gone wrong, and taking immediate action to resolve the issue.
  • If you’re unhappy with our response, you can take your complaint to Stage 2.  Some complicated complaints are looked at directly at Stage 2.


Stage 2 – Investigation

  • We’ll discuss your complaint with you to confirm why you remain unhappy and what outcome you’re looking for.
  • We’ll acknowledge your complaint within 3 working days and give you a full response as soon as possible, but within 20 working days.
  • If our investigation is taking longer to complete, we’ll tell you and agree revised time limits.


What if I’m still not happy after Stage 2?

Social rented tenants:

If you’re still not happy, either with our decision or with the way in which we dealt with your complaint, you can ask the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) to look at it.

You can contact the SPSO:

  • in person at SPSO, 4 Melville Street, Edinburgh, EH3 7NS
  • by writing to SPSO, Freepost EH641, Edinburgh, EH3 0BR
  • by calling 0800 377 7330
  • via their website or mobile site


Factored owners, sharing owners or shared equity owners:

Follow stages 1 & 2 and if you are still unhappy with our decision you should contact the Homeowner Housing Panel at Europa Building, 450 Argyle Street, Glasgow G2 8LH

Tel 0141 242 0175 or via their website


Mid-market rent customers:

Follow stages 1 & 2 and if you are still unhappy with our decision you should contact the Private Rented Housing Panel at Europa Building, 450 Argyle Street, Glasgow G2 8LH

Tel 0141 242 0142 or via their website


Reporting a significant performance failure to the Scottish Housing Regulator

The Scottish Housing Regulator (SHR) can consider issues raised with them about a ‘significant performance failure’. This is defined as something that a landlord does or fails to do that puts the interests of its tenants at risk, and which the landlord has not resolved. If you are affected by a problem like this, you should first report it to us. If you have told us about it but we have not resolved it, you can report it directly to the SHR.

For more information visit or call them on 0141 271 3810.


Getting help to make your complaint

We understand that you may be unable, or reluctant, to make a complaint yourself. We can take complaints on your behalf from a friend, relative, Councillor, your MSP or an advocate if you have given them your consent to do so.


You can find out about advocates in your area by contacting:

  • Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance, Tel: 0131 260 5380,
  • Citizens Advice Scotland,
  • Or check your phone book for your local bureau


Access for all

We’re committed to making our service easy to use for all members of our community. If you have trouble putting your complaint in writing, or want this information in another language or format, such as large font, CR-Rom or Braille, tell us in person and we can arrange to help.