Home Improvements

Before going ahead with any alteration or improvement to your property, no matter how small, you must obtain permission in writing from Southside Housing Association. 

You are encouraged to discuss your proposals with members of staff in the Property Department and obtain their advice before making a formal application in writing.

Your request will be examined individually.   The impact of health and safety, neighbours and on-going maintenance is assessed and you will either be refused permission or granted permission.

If permission is granted you must then complete the work to our satisfaction, advise us when the work is completed and allow access to staff in the Property Department for inspection.

Records of the process will be kept and if required used to give details of maintenance responsibilities at a later date.   If you leave the property, for example, you are required to return the property to its original condition.

Please note that alterations might also require Planning Permission and/or a Building Warrant, both of which are granted by Glasgow City Council.  It is your own responsibility to apply for these.  Please note that obtaining consent from us does not mean that you will get these other permissions, and vice-versa.

Right to Compensation for Improvements

Under the Housing (Scotland) Act 2001, Scottish Secure tenants and Short Scottish Secure tenants may be able to receive compensation from their landlord for improvements which they made to their home on or after 30th September 2002.

For you to qualify for this compensation:

  • We must have approved the improvement; and
  • Your tenancy must have ended

You can apply for compensation when you know your tenancy is coming to an end.  We recommend you let us know about this as early as possible.  If in doubt, ask your Housing Officer how to claim.

You can claim compensation for:

  • The cost of materials (but not appliances such as cookers or fridges); and
  • Labour costs (but not your own labour)

We calculate the amount of compensation by looking at the cost of the improvement and may ask you to provide proof of the amount you have spent. It is a good idea to keep a copy of any bills in a safe place and you may want to send a copy to us when the work has been done.

The value of any improvement you have made falls as the improvement gets older and as you get use out of it. The compensation you get will take the age of your improvement into account.

We may also reduce your compensation if we believe you paid too much for the improvement or the quality is higher than it would have been if we had done it.

We can also take any money you owe from the compensation you are entitled to, for example, unpaid rent or rechargeable repairs.

If you do not agree with our decision, you can ask us to reconsider our decision within 28 days of giving it to you.  The decision must then be reviewed independently.